Puddle Topped Browned Butter Pecan Sablés
Thank you to Luke Butler Jr. for submitting this recipe! It is a variation of Claire Saffitz “Browned Butter Sage Sablés” using orange zest and Guidry Organic Farms pecans. We never realized how amazingly pecans and orange go together until we tasted these cookies! This would be a show-stopping dish to bring to your next holiday get-together.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 5 cups of chopped Guidry Organic Farms Glazed Pecans (leave about 15 whole pecans for garnishing)
- Guidry Organic Farms Pecan Butter (for toppings)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- In a small saucepan, brown the butter over medium heat then transfer to a mixing bowl to cool.
- In a separate bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients (cornstarch, flour, and salt). Set aside.
- Add the granulated sugar and orange zest to the browned butter mixture. Beat on medium until the mixture is lighter in color and thoroughly combined.
- Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla until just combined.
- Turn off the mixer and add in the dry ingredients. Mix on the lowest speed until your dough is smooth. Drop in your chopped pecans and mix gently by hand. Fold the dough by hand several times to make sure it is mixed well.
- Form the dough into logs by dividing in half and rolling each piece into a tight 8-inch cylinder. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until the dough is firm (2 hours or 2 days).
- Preheat the oven to 350*F, line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- Slice the hardened dough into ¼ to ½-inch-thick coins. You should get abut 18 cookies per log. Press your thumb into the center of the cookies to create a small “dip.” In the dip, drop a tiny bit of Pecan Butter and top with a whole pecan.
- Transfer cookies to a baking sheet and place about 2 inches apart. Bake until the edges are golden, 16 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheets. While they are cooling, you can sprinkle them with the sugar, salt, orange zest mixture.
(Optional Topping) In a small bowl, combine 6 tablespoons of sugar, a pinch of salt, and the zest of half an orange. Mix thoroughly. We will use this to garnish the top of the cookies when they are ready to bake!