Spicy Vodka Penne Pasta
This penne pasta is our go-to on nights that we are craving something extra delicious and creamy! If you don't have Vodka on hand or don't want to include it, we find that it tastes just as good without. We hope you love this easy weeknight pasta! (Bonus: we only dirtied two dishes!)
Ingredients - Makes 2
- 1/4 Pecan Oil
- 1 small clove of garlic, diced
- 1/4 green onion
- 1/4 cup tomato pasta
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (can substitute
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 225 grams of shells pasta (any kind!)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Basil, chopped, to serve
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat the Pecan Oil, garlic and onion. We recommend starting off with the Pecan Oil and onion, since onions tend to brown faster than garlic.
- Add in tomato paste and cook until the paste is caramelized (or darker in color). Add vodka (you can skip this step if you want, it tastes relatively the same!) and cook until evaporated. Add in the called amount of red pepper flakes, but you can also add more if you like it with a bit more heat.
- Stir well until fully combined. Season with salt and pepper to your liking and then remove the sauce from the heat.
- Cook pasta separately and drain once cooked, but be sure to save 1/4 of your pasta water. Add in the butter and stir it into the pasta over medium heat until it is well combined.
- Add the pasta (and pasta water) to the sauce, stirring well. Add parmesan cheese and then stir more. Top with more salt and pepper. Finish it off with more cheese and fresh basil to serve.